Our YP feature is Michelle Hunniford, who moved here in 2017 for work. Michelle participated in a coffee date through the YPN to meet new people, and has since become a YPN Executive!
1. In 280 characters or less, tell us what you do.
I am the National Animal Care Specialist at Burnbrae Farms, one of Canada’s leading egg producers. I ensure that all of our animals experience an equally high standard of care. I also train employees on our animal welfare policies; oversee research collaborations with universities; liaise with members of the poultry industry.
2. Why Brockville?
The head office of Burnbrae’s poultry division is located in Lyn, just outside of Brockville.
3. What is most important right now, to you as a young professional?
Meeting new people and developing a community.
4. If you could give any piece of advice to 17-year old you, what would it be?
Don’t worry so much.
5. What’s your most visited website/social media page?
LinkedIn or ResearchGate
6. Do you have any advice for other YP’s hoping to get into your field/career?
Enroll in the Animal Behaviour and Welfare (ABW) program at the University of Guelph – there are a lot of jobs for graduates of the Ontario Agricultural College, and especially the ABW program.
7. What hidden gem of/in Brockville would you love to share with others?
The Mac Johnson Wildlife Area.