We'd like to introduce you to one of our newest executive members: Chris Carlin!
1. In 280 characters or less, tell us what you do.
I am a Technical Writing student. In my free time, I run the 1000 Islands Art Connection Facebook page, which is dedicated to promoting artists and galleries in the area.
2. Why Brockville?
I like the smaller town feel and the beautiful landscape. Having grown up in Deep River, I appreciate the charm of having a river nearby and familiar faces around.
3. What is most important right now, to you as a young professional?
One of the greatest things the internet has given us is the ease of access to educational resources. Between tools like Coursera, Duolingo, Brilliant and other sites, the ability to grow your skills outside of college has never been easier. These accessible and affordable resources are incredibly important to me as a young professional.
4. If you could give any piece of advice to 17-year old you, what would it be?
Don’t be afraid to take on projects. The best learning is done out of practical necessity, and classroom learning can only take you so far in this regard.
5. What’s your most visited website/social media page?
I’m frequently on Duolingo, as I have to keep meeting my daily learning goals. There’s something heartbreaking about losing a learning streak.
6. Do you have any advice for other YP’s hoping to get into your field/career?
Write. It’s as simple as that. There are, unfortunately, some people who believe that writing is an innate talent, instead of a skill that has to be honed, and so they shy away from opportunities to get real-world experience.