Our YP Feature for July is Melanie DeJong! See what she has to say about working and living in Brockville.
1. In 280 characters or less, tell us what you do.
I work at the Employment and Education Centre in Brockville. We are a non for profit organization that is dedicated to assisting community members to reach their goals. We take a multi-faceted approach to this by ensuring access to all people within our area. We offer assistance with youth employment, adult employment, training and credit counselling assistance.
In my role as a Job Developer, I work with both job seekers as well as employers to determine the best fit for each to ensure future success for all.
2. Why Brockville?
I grew up in this area – it’s a beautiful area to raise a family in. Also – have you seen that river? It’s like a post card!
3. What is most important right now, to you as a young professional?
Building my network – getting into the community as much as I can to meet new people. Every person you encounter has something to offer – you can learn a lot from the people you interact with.
4. If you could give any piece of advice to 17-year old you, what would it be?
Own who you are, it’s not worth it to change yourself for others.
5. What’s your most visited website/social media page?
Instagram – specifically ‘respectfulmemes’ and any animal focused account. It ensures that my life is full of rainbows and puppies!
6. Do you have any advice for other YP’s hoping to get into your field/career?
If you want to be in a helping profession you must want to HELP people – if you don’t feel it in your bones, it might not be for you. Also – practice self-care.
7. What hidden gem of/in Brockville would you love to share with others?
The Brockville Farmers' Market! Not hidden as a whole but we have some great local vendors who are hidden gems! Such talented and lovely people, I encourage you to shop local when you’re able.