Here's take two in our new series for 2018, where we highlight young professionals who live, work, and play in Brockville. Meet Corey Henry:
1. In 280 characters or less, tell us what you do.
I am an entrepreneur. I created a Start-up called Ottawa Tasting Tours/1000 Islands Tasting Tours. Essentially we offer tours based around culinary arts. I am also taking on a new venture called Escape Brockville, where I will be building an Escape room in the Caboose in Downtown Brockville.
2. Why Brockville?
When I was growing up in Brockville, I had no intention on sticking around town. Soon as I could I took off. I went to school in southern Ontario and then I moved out west for a number of years. I came back to Brockville for a college program at Algonquin college. When I moved back I saw Brockville in a different light than when I was growing up here. I was able to appreciate it for what it is. The River, the downtown, the people.
3. What is most important right now, to you as a young professional?
Time. We all do the best we can with the number of hours we have in any given day but effectively prioritizing and getting focused is crucial.
4. If you could give any piece of advice to 17-year old you, what would it be?
That's tough! When I was 17 my mindset was completely different, but it led me to have the experience that made me who I am today.
To answer the question I would tell my 17-year-old self that hard work pays off–it took me a while to figure that one out.
5. What’s your most visited website/social media page?
Facebook and Youtube. Majority of my marketing is done via Facebook so I spend a lot of time on that platform. When I need to learn something I Youtube it.
6. Do you have any advice for other yp’s hoping to get into your field/career?
Start today - figure out the rest later.
7. What hidden gem of/in Brockville would you love to share with others?
Crossfit Becc - Not necessarily hidden… But it is what keeps me focused and prepares me for my day.